Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rotary homestay in Chennai

One of the "field trips" I signed up for while in Chennai was to stay with a Rotarian's family for 3 days and 2 nights.  I was  matched up with Rajkumar Devarajan and his family. His wife was out of town tending to her ailing mother so it was Raj, Sasha, and me.
Rajkumar and Sasha, in their home in front of portraits of his grandparents
Being a rotarian myself (having joined the Oakland, Md chapter just about 6 months ago) I was quite interested in attending the Chennai Rotary meeting.  About 30 of us from the ship were placed with Rotarian families and on the first evening we all gathered for a Rotary meeting. Two chapters organized it and it included representatives from 10 clubs in the Chennai area.  For the past 18 years they have been hosting Semester at Sea people each semester.  I presented two of the clubs the banner from my Oakland chapter.
The President of the Adyar chapter
 The Chennai Rotary chapters are very active; just yesterday was "Polio" day-- India, along with Pakistan and Nigeria still have a significant polio problem.  The country does appreciate the role the Rotary plays in trying to eradicate polio:
A huge banner hanging outside a theater in downtown Chennai
Rajkumar gave me a nice white button down Rotary shirt: I gave him a work shirt

1 comment:

Laura said...

fun! did mom do a home stay?