Monday, October 15, 2012

"0-0" Day

As in the Fall 2010 voyage the captain agreed to sail to the intersection of the equator and the prime meridian.  This occurred the day we departed Tema, Ghana. Where the ship parked in Tema was only about .5 mile from the prime meridian so for about the 340 n. miles it took to get to the equator we essentially were on the prime meridian. 

I was given permission to be on the bridge with the captain at that wonderful geographic moment and I went on the PA system just before the event to brief the shipboard community on latitude and longitude.  One of my former government colleagues has accused me of becoming a "geo-geek".


  
On the bridge with the captain (L) and Staff Captain (R)
Electronic chart showing "0-0"

Ian Rodgers, my "ship son" showing his "0-0" moment

No comments: