Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Semester has begun

The first day out of Halifax (Sat—days of the week become meaningless once classes begin as everyone focuses on which “A” or “B” day it is). There will be a total of 22 class sessions for the A and B day courses, followed at the end by 4 days of final exams before we end our journey in San Diego on 13 December.

Departing Halifax
 The first day or two at sea were a bit rough and many students couldn’t quite get to class, or stay in class. It was good that the faculty and staff had the several days at sea between Norfolk and Halifax as I do not believe any ill effects were felt by this component of the ship’s population.

As I write this blog entry I have just completed my “A2” day of teaching. On A days I teach one section of World Regional Geography to a class of 22 (from 1215 to 1330 in a room that is carved out of the rear of the union (auditorium). On B days I teach a second section of World Regional Geography, to 26 students (1045-1200) in a classroom that is at midship. Then, later on B afternoons (1445-1610) I am back in the union teaching Geography of the Oceans to 20 students. In addition to the registered students I also have between 2 and 5 “life long learners” (LLLs) and spouses of faculty who sit in. The LLLs are people who have payed to be a part of the Semester at Sea community and they are allowed to take courses, space permitting.

Sandy has begun attending her intro to drawing class and already has some nice entries into her sketch book.

We will complete A3 and B3 teaching days before reaching Spain. Whenever we are in port we stop our classroom teaching and land field trips, either structured or independent, commence. Each professor was responsible for creating at least 3 field trips, named Faculty Directed Practica (FDPs). My first come occurs while we are in Spain. With the help of a former State Dept colleague, I have organized a day trip to Gibraltar, about a 2 hour bus trip from the ship. In addition to getting a tour of the “rock” we will receive a briefing from a former US Naval officer who had been the US rep there.

In future blog entries I will continue to describe life on board.
One of my classes
 
Some of Sandra's art work; the "early" period

No comments: